Friday, December 10, 2010

Welcome Home

Last weekend was another one of those memories to cherish. Our best friend returned home from a year in Iraq. On Friday night, this past year came full circle for me. I was there the day that Mallory and Austin’s family told him goodbye. We left him on base on a cold, rainy, dark day. The weather could not have told a better story of our feelings. It has been a long year, especially for Austin. The night he came home it felt like we had just been there.  I can't explain the feeling of driving over to base that night with Mallory.  At one point in the night, I asked her if her heart was racing.  She just said "I think it stopped".  I think that says it all. We got there early, we really didn’t know what to expect. I am so happy that we did. There was another welcome home ceremony about an hour before Austin’s and we were blessed to witness it. It was so amazing. To sit and watch and have such joy for strangers was like nothing I had ever experienced. I am thankful for such a humbling moment.


Finally, his bus rounded the corner, and they marched out on the field. After a quick ceremony, we ran to meet him. My eyes just filled with tears when I saw them finally get to hug. He is back and safe, thank you Jesus. After tons of hugs and some chatting we left to go get some sleep. We all got up the next morning and headed downtown to spend the day in Savannah. What a perfect day it was. The sun was out, the temperature was amazing, and the sky was blue. The market was out on River Street and Christmas was in the air. We had a really really fun day. I hope that we don’t ever forget the feelings of this weekend. Humbled, thankful, and filled with joy.

Some of my favorites from the weekend….enjoy!


Mac couldn't join us at the ceremony, but he guarded the house for his daddy until he got home.



Watching the first ceremony.


READY!






Takes my breath away.




Happy.




Downtown Savannah















Cloggers! I begged Cheryl to join them, she declined.
They were adorable.



Fried Oreos!


Always better when we're together.

No comments:

Post a Comment